Mason’s Mill and Lumber is proud to have products featured in a multitude of homes on the 2018 AIA Houston Home Tour this year. We look forward to exploring each stop while informing new friends about all of our products along the way!
From the Heights to Spring Branch and everywhere (well, five stops) in between, there’s a lot of beauty to behold on this fall’s AIA Home Tour. The annual two-day event takes some 3,000 visitors on a self-guided tour of Houston’s finest new architect-designed houses, as chosen by a jury of industry experts. This year’s seven homes—all completed within the last five years—were unveiled August 8.
The tour takes place from noon–6 p.m. on Saturday, October 20 and Sunday, October 21, and tickets range from $10 for a single house tour (not available for pre-sale) to $25 for a full-tour advance ticket ($35 on the weekend of). Bicyclists and kids 12 and under save $5 and $10, respectively. The tour, a nonprofit fundraiser, supports AIA’s other yearly initiatives, and this year’s tour chairman is Kiza Forgie of Dillon Kyle Architects.
Here’s a peek at this year’s featured houses:
1. 1909 Gardenia Drive (GOOF)
- Size: 4,166 square feet
- Firm: Cusimano Architect
- Standout features: Natural materials, large west-facing window walls, covered outdoor space.
- Mason Mill & Lumber Products: Birch & Maple Plywood, Poplar S4S Trim & White Oak Steps
2. 2040A Arlington Street (Heights)
- Size: 350 square feet (850 square feet of deck)
- Firm: Brett Zamore Design
- Standout features: Dog-trot-inspired plan for light and air circulation, central breezeway with sliding louvered doors, eight-foot covered front and back porches.
- Mason Mill & Lumber Products: FSC Cumaru Decking with Ipe Oil, Birch Plywood, Poplar S4S
3. 2171 University Blvd. (Rice/West U)
- Size: 4,000 square feet
- Firm: Intexure Architects
- Standout features: Dramatic central stair tower, treehouse-inspired terraces and breezeway, eco-friendly materials.
- Mason Mill & Lumber Products: FSC Cumaru Vanish Rainscreen with Ipe Oil
4. 2326 Tangley St. (Southampton)
- Size: 5,316 square feet
- Firm: Dillon Kyle Architects
- Standout features: Private courtyard and swimming pool with summer kitchen, custom skylight, wine room and rain-screen facade.
- Mason Mill & Lumber Products: FSC Accoya Vanish Rainscreen (With Modified Square Edges), VG Fir T&G Gap Joint, Birch Plywood, Poplar S4S
5. 2923 Drexel Dr. (Upper Kirby)
- Size: 5,400 square feet
- Firm: studioMET
- Standout features: Double-height spaces, floor-to-ceiling glass panels, third-floor treetop terrace.
- Mason Mill & Lumber Products: Ipe Decking with Ipe Oil, Character White Oak Plywood, Rustic White Oak Table Top, Kingslides, Birch & White Oak Cabinet Material, Poplar Base, Pine T&G V-Joint Outdoor Ceilings
6. 8725 Banzer St. (Westview)
- Size: 3,500 square feet
- Firm: RD Architecture LLC
- Standout features: LEED Silver rating, vaulted living room and master bedroom with exposed steel beams, clerestory windows.
- Mason Mill & Lumber Products: Cabinet Plywood, Poplar & Maple S4S, Poplar T&G V-Joint
7. 8913 Friendship Rd. (Spring Branch)
- Size: 2,700 square feet
- Firm: JT ARC Studio
- Standout features: Utilized attic zone space, linear footprint, spacious backyard with specially designed Quonset hut.
- Mason Mill & Lumber Products: No Mason’s Mill products were used in the construction of this home.